FIVE THINGS THAT BOTHER THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME!
by Evangelist Dave Young
Have you noticed how easily we can become bothered? People can frustrate us. Events can frustrate us. The weather can frustrate us. Politics can frustrate us. Frustration possibilities abound don’t they?
Are you ever bothered? I am. And here are five things that really, really bother me about me!
- It bothers me how often I fail to be the soul-winner I ought to be and that I want to be. Over the past 5 or 6 weeks my son has been witnessing to our neighbors granddaughter. She is 14 and a “teen” in every sense of the word. I think she has a slight crush on my son. He is quite handsome (like his father – lol) so no surprise there. However, he talked her into coming to church and then began answering all her questions. “What does your dad mean when he talks about being “saved”?” was one of her questions. I preached on prayer and she went home and started a prayer list and started asking questions about prayer. Eventually Matt was able to give her a list of salvation verses and she went home to her grandparents and looked up all the verses. A few days ago I was grilling chicken on my carport when she walked down the drive way and said, “Hey Pastor Dave, can I talk to you?” Fifteen minutes later she was crying and asking Jesus to be her Savior and God! My heart was overjoyed that I could help my son lead her to Jesus. We all rejoiced and praised God together. Seeing her saved made me realize how busy I can get and how easily I can forget about souls. It bothers me that I fail to be the soulwinner I ought to be and want to be. Pray for me about that. Oh, and by the way, her mom came with her to church last Sunday and my family is now praying for her salvation too.
- It bothers me how often I find myself getting irritated at things (and people) instead of allowing the life and love of Jesus to shine through me. Our Savior was always willing to be interrupted. He was always willing to be inconvenienced. I want to be more like that. Jesus said in John 15 that we are to continue in his love. We are to lay down our lives for others. That is how I want to be!
- It bothers me how often I find myself speaking negatively about others instead of edifying and ministering grace. “Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers” (Ephesians 4:29). “Speak not evil one of another brethren . . .” (James 4:11). I can disagree with a friend or brother without speaking negatively of him. In fact, it seems that it is always easier to speak “down” about a person than about the issue at hand. I am asking God to help me to edify and to minister grace unto those that hear me.
- It bothers me that I am so often filled with unbelief. Jesus said: “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive” (Matthew 21:2). My praying is sometimes super weak because of my unbelief. Sometimes it is just a formality. And yet God’s Word is filled with so many promises stating that He will answer if we ask. God forgive me that my faith is so weak!
- It bothers me that I still find myself battling temptations. Does that bother you? Wouldn’t it be great if we could live the Christian life without temptations? It would be great, but that isn’t possible until we have a glorified body. In the meantime, I have discovered that no matter how long I have been saved and no matter how many times I defeat sin and no matter how successful I may or may not be, the temptations are always coming. I still have to walk in the Spirit. I still have to hide God’s word in my heart. I still have to take the way of escape. I still have to pray that God will deliver me from evil. I have to keep growing in grace and in the knowledge of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
That is what bothers me about me! I wonder if there is anything that bothers you about you? Let’s pray together and ask God to help us about these matters. I certainly hope you will pray for me!
Thanks for reading,
3 thoughts on “FIVE THINGS THAT BOTHER THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME!”
Thank you David, for this thought on “Things that bother”. That was so good, so simple, so hard to implement in my life. These things bother me in my life, along with a boatload more, most of which are miniscule. But they are allowed , by me, to ruin and thwart my sweet fellowship with my Saviour. I know that I will always be a “work in progress” till He calls me home, but some days are so much harder than others. I want so much to be that example of Christ in me, but me gets in the way, much too often. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Very encouraging to read about your son’s ministry to the neighbor. I know the deep joy it brings to a father’s heart when he can see his child care for the lost! Thanks for your transparency and the encouragement that I’m not the only one with the battles and struggles. Appreciate your ministry! (Is Micah engaged yet 😊)
Thank you so much for the comment. Yes it brings me great joy to see my kids growing in Christ. And “not yet” on the other!